Wednesday 9 March 2011

A-Z #51: The Constant Gardener

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#51 - The Constant Gardener 

Why did I buy it?

I didn't. It was a present. Thanking You Rachel and Richard. Following City of God, an incredible Brazilian film which we shall get ... woah ... I just realised that I don't own City of God. Shit. I must buy that. I know I bought it at some point. Methinks it is one of many films that I lent out and it was never returned. Damn. Nevertheless, it is based on a John Le Carre novel and was a huge part of the Academy Awards season for 2005.

Why do I still own it?

I have only watched it once and we can categorise this film in the 'can't-remember-much-about-it' category. I remember thinking it was good enough to keep - and I loved the cast: Rachel Weisz and Ralph Fiennes amongst others. But I really cannot remember enough to give it a fair analysis. Now this is where these posts justifying my collection really come into play -  if I cannot remember enough to state whether it is good or bad and it has not passed into the film-history-vocab I think the only thing I have is a film worth a re-evaluation. And that, in itself, is why I have kept the film.

Am I holding out to spend 2-hours to simply decide that it is not worth keeping?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

3 comments:

  1. Still need to watch this one, though it's on my "must watch in 2011" list, so I'll get to it one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when you watch it - remind me how good or bad it is, because i can't remember if I should care or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! I meant about the film - should I care about the film or not? I care about your comment dearly mr Cabin!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.