Saturday 26 March 2011

A-Z #61: Dirty Dancing

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em...



#61 - Dirty Dancing 

Why did I buy it?

Pretry simple really - Sarah and I set ourself challenges. Sarah had to purchase a DVD for me and I for her, ot be viewed as double bill that evening. Sarah bought me Rocky whilst I bought her Dirty Dancing. Strange how both are hyper-masculine and hyper-feminine. Nevertheless, I had never seen Dirty Dancing until that evening and, upon watching it ... my, oh my ...

Why do I still own it?

Well, the vast majority of why I like this was discussed on 'The Simon and Jo Film Show' way back in June but to highlight the main points - its fair to say, its not your average 'chick-flick'. On the one side, yeah, its dancing and a girls 'awakening' but it shows this through the a rose-tinted 60's pop soundtrack. It shows these aspects by showing the upper-class 'visitors' and lower-class 'workers' and through "Baby" visiting the resort with her affluent family, whilst Swayze is the dancer - used and abused by women. The film even tackles abortion! Hardly your average 'chick-flick'.

What is great about this film, is the positivity and celebration of femininity - Jennifer Grey perfectly captures the naive innocence of a young woman whilst she also begins to enjoy and fight for her independence. The celebration as she achieves this is incredible - so it is strange to think that though she is having "the time of her life", she is ultimately beginning her life as a free and independent woman ...

On a sidenote, it is interesting to note that the director, Emile Ardolino, died young at the age of 50 ... shortly after directing Sister Act in 1993.

Maybe this film is actually lame and I should shift it ASAP... what do you think?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I've no idea whether or not you should keep or dump this one. I haven't seen it probably since 1990 or so. But it's a pretty iconic 80s movie, and hell, anything with the Swayze is probably worth owning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch it again. Makes you feel like a girl, but that last dance ... you can't help but get emotional. Theres a very good reason it is iconic because its bloody good!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.