Thursday 13 October 2011

A-Z #99: Independence Day

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#99 - Independence Day 

Why did I buy it?

I think its all nostalgia really. I watched it with my sister at the cinema and I remember bibidly walking to Woolworths as she bought the video on the week of release - even spending £2.99 on a Stargate video as an offer. Happy times indeed. Independence Day then became a regular viewing on the rotation of 10-videos we had. Independence Day, Jurassic Park, Casper, The Lost World, The Making of Michael Jacksons Thriller, The LIttle Rascals and Men in Black. When it came on DVD, I was also a little interested in the 'special edition' version of the film too!

Why do I still own it?

I have watched it a couple of times since I bought it, but it's not a big hit. I even visited my sisters house a while ago and watched a little of her Blu-Ray copy and, strangely enough, it looked like a soap with the clarity of Blu-Ray. I think it's dated pretty badly and, though it has the great moments of the sky-fights and the first 40 minutes prior to destruction, it ultimately loses pace halfway in.

Should Independence Day stay? Is it one of the best disaster films still?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.