Sunday 1 May 2011

A-Z #74: Empire of the Sun

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em

#74 - Empire of the Sun 

Why did I buy it?

Spielberg marathon. I vividly remember Empire of the Sun having a hearty recommendation from Dawson Leery on Dawsons Creek. If I recall correcltly, I think he may have stated that the film was "underrated". Suffice to say, the double-disc package was a must. The fact that Christian Bale as a young whipper-snapper and Ben Stiller was playing a non-comedic role was worth watching at any rate.

Why do I still own it?

So, I watched it once. I won't lie, I wasn't blown away. Now I know that Mad Hatter is a big fan and good friend Rhys has always praised the film rating it higher than some of the acknowledged 'Spielberg' classics. Therefore, I hold onto the film waiting to rewatch and re-judge. The thing is -  Spielberg has so many good films! Unlike 1941, which was sold on as soon as took the disc out of the player, Empire of the Sun has so many iconic shots that are unforgettable. The one I captured above is one of many, many shots. I think the child's perspective is an interesting route to watch the war through - but I question whether Christian Bale carried the film effectively. I think my gut feeling is that he did not...

Should I stick to that gut-feeling and sell it ASAP? Or should I trust the film-friends and wait for the rewatch?


Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.