Tuesday 10 May 2011

A-Z #77: The Fifth Element

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#77 - The Fifth Element

Why did I buy it?

I won't lie. It was the box. It was a sweet box. It would slide open from the centre, revealing the DVD inside. At the time, I had not seen any Luc Besson and thought this was as good-a-place to start as any. Since then, I have seen Leon and realise that, ultimately, Leon is better but The Fifth Element will always be a must-watch film for Sci-Fi film buffs.

Why do I still own it?

The sweet box. Not really. I've watched it a couple of times and I think that it has something very unique about it - something Hollywood could not deliver. The humour within the film is all a little bit off beat - Chris Tucker simply looks nuts! That mental Opera! These memorable moments keep this as a cult classic. I think, to some extent, Bruce Willis is a little miscast. Stating "Die Hard in space" at the boardroom meeting must have been what guaranteed the budget. I personally love Gary Oldman's character in this - especially the black paste which oozes down his head for no clear reason except to add to the intense nature of his villain. Not a masterpiece but unique at any rate.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. It's a bit weird, but it has a totally fun and exciting feel to it, and I couldn't help but like this. Good Stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dan - its a strange mix of take-me-seriously-as-the-poor-girl-may-get-hurt combined with fun and games and I think, sometimes, its a little bit too weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a test screening of this, and I remember wishing they had laid off the humor and taken it more seriously. I still kind of think so - it had some elements (no pun intended) that might have really made it a sci-fi classic, but at the same time, I appreciate the uniqueness and quirks of it all. I still don't love it, but I'll watch it anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @fletch - i feel exactly the same. the humour just was a bit too ... weird.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.