Saturday 14 May 2011

A-Z #78: Fight Club

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#78 - Fight Club

Why did I buy it?

I was friends, when younger, with a guy called Mark. He was into football and was quite the ladies man. Ultimately, we didn't stay friends for very long but, considering how proud he seemed to be of his masculinity, it is ironic how he also introduced me to Fight Club and Snatch. Both very much about men and about being a Man. With a capital M.

Why do I still own it?

Mark owned the films himself so after watching the film once, I then hunted down the DVD - and ensured I got that sweet paper-like sleeve. David Fincher, when you watch this film, you realise is a masterful director. His incredibly savvy use of special effects and stylised shooting in this film completely contrasts to his reserved and non-stylised direction in The Social Network. You can see that he understood the zeitgeist - following the capitalism of the 80's, now people became obsessed with products ... to the point that products and items became to define people. Today, it still stands and the film hasn't dated as the older-PC's simply look retro in the grubby, dirty world that Fincher has created. Incredible filmmaking and, I believe, the most important Fincher film.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. Fincher's best work to date. I'm waiting to get a hold of a Blu-ray of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, but on blu-ray you don't have the sweet cardboard sleeve with all the postcards and stuff. well not in the UK anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely his most important. Some might argue TSN in a few years, but despite its connection to the more important Facebook, the words Fight Club still mean something to a generation all on their own. More credit is probably due to Palahniuk on that front, but it's fair to say that the movie opened up the world of Fight Club to many more people (and is a bit better, too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @fletch - i think some might think TSN is 'their favourite' but FIGHT CLUB will remain as the most important Fincher.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.