Friday 11 November 2011

A-Z #103: In The Name of the Father

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#103 - In The Name of the Father

Why did I buy it?

I watched this years ago during my Film Studies and Media Studies AS/A-Level Education. I remember vividly enough how much I liked it as I purchased the film on VHS to watch with my parents. But, like many films, it fell off the radar when the DVD's hit and I only re-bought the film when I was in Ireland and I was keen to get to grips with some incredibly films from Irish Cinema - including Michael Collins alongside my 2 for 20E offer.

Why do I still own it?

Sarah and I watched the film shortly after the purchase and the second-watch reinvigorated me. Daniel Day Lewis is incredible, whilst Pete Postlethwaite is a stand-out success. Emma Thompson is good enough and provides the thread between the non-linear storyline and the back-and-forth between her recount of the cassettes Gerry has sent her and the flashbacks we see as viewers. It is a brilliant account of a story that should never be forgotten - and indeed, in the Oscar-Nominated film, I only hope that many more people see the film in the future.

I even managed to write an analysis which you can read by clicking here ...
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.