Sunday 6 November 2011

A-Z #102: In The Mood For Love

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#102 - In The Mood For Love 
Why did I buy it?

I bought the film as part of losing the Oscars challenge against Jo. I was expected to watch In The Mood For Love and My Blueberry Nights. I watcehd both ... My Blueberry Nights will not get a mention on the A-Z as once watched... there was no purpose to watch again. This on the other hand topped the Time Out Best Film of 2000's poll and, though I would not rate it so high, it is indeed a stunning film.

Why do I still own it?

One thing about ownership, is that I would be expected to return to the film multiple times. In the Mood For Love shows us two characters who are both in unhappy relationships, but the way that they pass each other by and their longing-looks, are what keeps you interested. The world they inhabit is beautiful and haunting and it urges you to revisit the film multiple times. I was hooked and, upon watching the film briefly, I was keen to show the film and rewatch it with Sarah who has not seen the film. To top it off, Umbayashi creates the waltzs which provide the soundtrack - these add so much atmosphere that you almost feel like you are weaving in-and-out of the conversations as a ghost haunting the two characters ... what is haunting them is their love for each other, because you know it will never leave them.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.