Sunday 18 December 2011

A-Z #106: Jerry Maguire

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#106 - Jerry Maguire 

Why did I buy it?

Jo recommended it to me and, more and more, I had heard about how 'brilliant' Cameron Crowe was. I bought this such a long time ago - early 2000's - so I doubt I had even heard of Cameron Crowe at the time. Tom Cruise was in it... so that couldn't be bad.

Why do I still own it?

It remains so inspirational. A film that equally shows how brutal life can be - but still ensures that it builds you up again so that you can see great the world is around you. The irony is that the most memorable line in the film is "Show me the money!", when it is abundantly clear that money is not what people need to make them happy - it is people that makes people happy. The relationship Cruise and Gooding Jr have, the belief Zellweger has in Cruise. I need to re-watch the film - but money is definitely not what the film is 'about'.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

3 comments:

  1. This may be my favourite film of all time, although I'm worried the romance stuff is a problem. Given Cameron Crowe is on something of a donward spiral I need to question past successes. And maybe it's too long. And it's got Zellwegger. Still it's definitely part of the proof that Tom Cruise rules all.

    I always found it kind of weird that I dig films on a sport I don't really understand (this and Any Given Sunday).

    I feel like we need to rewatch it together and establish whether You Complete Me/You had me at hello are still okay or have been tainted by becoming annoying pop culture staples. What say you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm well up for a rewatch! maybe a double-bill with WE BOUGHT A ZOO? Have you seen ELIZABETHTOWN?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reject Elizabethtown on the basis of Orlando Bloom.

    Not sure about We Bought a Zoo. Matt & Scarlett bring an aura of sexy credibility but the Murdoch approval and sickly trailer are a little off putting.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.