Sunday 10 April 2011

A-Z #67: Dreamgirls

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em

#67 - Dreamgirls 

Why did I buy it?

Don't blame me - it is Sarah's. But I was interested. At the time it was the come-down for musicals - Chicago, The Singing Detective - and at the same time the music-biopic was popular - Walk The Line, Ray - so this film seemed to balance out the two. A clear parrallel between the Dreamgirls and The Supremes and the rise of Diana Ross and Motown. I like Motown and we all like Beyonce so, yeah, though I wouldn't buy it myself, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

Why do I still own it?

Well, its not a bad story. Nothing spectacular and nothing incredibly new, but a good story nevertheless. I think Jamie Foxx and Danny Glover are great at what they do but, in fairness, the hat is off to Jennifer Hudson. I have always believed that the likes of American Idol or Pop Idol and X-Factor here in the Uk generally ruin the potential credibility of a musician and this proves otherwise. Hudson came 7th (Fantasia Barrino - who the hell is that? The winner...) in American Idol's 3rd season before embarking on her own pop career. Starring in Dreamgirls sent her worldwide. Recently, she played Winnie Mandela in a TV-biopic of the South-African politician. Credit to Beyonce too for taking a role that, lets be honest... could've drawn comparisons with her success and departure from Destiny's Child...
Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I love Anika Noni Rose most in this. Sure, her role is slight but I love her characterisation, and I think her perf. is golden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming she was the quiet girl - if so, I'd agree she was great. Seriously, I ain't a bad film!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.