Tuesday 26 April 2011

A-Z #73: The Emperors New Groove

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#73 - The Emperors New Groove 

Why did I buy it?

I won't lie. It was a sweet, double disc special edition and it was a little lower in price. Back then it probably was £20 rather than £25. Some, may say I'm a fool, but at the moment this specific edition is one of the 'classic' Disney films locked in 'the vault'. On Amazon at the moment, we have two new ay £28.99... and thirteen used at £7.74... so maybe, with the internet, the 'vault' isn't as closed as it used to be.

Why do I still own it?

At one point, I do intend to purchase all the disney classics and have them all lined up on the shelf with matching spines and many, many special features to rummage around. Unlike Aladdin this is, completely fairly, not the best Disney. In fact, it was when Disney was trying to make films with a slightly more cynical slant - comedy that would entertain adults as much as kids. So, for example, at one point when it shows on a map the journey the characters are taking, marked by red-lines and purple-triangles, it cuts to the actual characters running and chasing after each other, only to find that these red-lines and purple triangle's are actually underneath their feet. Now, I like the comedy and I like some of the characters - notably Kronk (but, why oh why, did you bastardize him with Kronk's New Groove!). I think it is fun and I am well-aware that owning this - but not owning Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio or Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's - gives the impression of an exceptionally picky taste. No no. Its simple a matter of time and patience... now I know that I will eventually hunt down, at a bargain price I hope, all the 'Classic Disney' titles. On Blu-Ray.

I just need to get a HD TV first...
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.