Monday 11 July 2011

Top 5 Pixar Films

For my birthday last Thursday my fantastic girlfriend bought me Disney's Fantasia. I had put off comitting to purchasing the Disney DVD's/Blu-Rays for a long time. I had always planned on only buying them when I had my first child and, when the boy/girl was barely born, we would start to watch all the Disney 'Classic' Collection in chronological order. With this single present, it has started me off early and within days I have watched Fantasia, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Beauty and the Beast. I believe this has no replaced my James Bond marathon indefinately.

So, having noticed that Pixar are credited on Beauty and the Beast (responsible for the, now quite dated, 3D dance-hall Beauty and Beast dance within during the unforgettable song "Beauty and the Beast"...), what better time to reflect on my current favourite Pixar films (especially as their track-record seems to have been stalled by Cars 2 according to the US reviews)...

5. Ratatouille - I have only watched this once and I think it is at '5'. I need to watch it again if I'm honest as, I'm sure you'll see, I've cheated a little and films such as A Bugs Life, The Incredibles and Up shockingly don't get a look in. Bottom-line is that the whole idea of criticism is something very close to my heart and this seems to tackle it in such a way that art - and what is art - is the core of the story. This, in itself is huge, expansive story-telling ... but for kids.

4. Cars - This was the last Pixar film which I have watched and it has always come across as the lesser credible film in the Pixar canon. I have to tell ya' - I completely disagree. This film, like the best of Pixar, focusses on a bigger topic: Capitalism and destruction of small-town America. The fact that we currently see how print-press may be having an exceptional hit in the recent news, again, shows how the bigger fish ultimately eat the small fish in the capitalist business structure. I am a little worried that Cars 2 will tarnish the reputation of this brilliant first outing.

3. Toy Story Trilogy - I'm not going to split them up. They are all, very much, independent films but so many aspects cross-over. If I say how much I love the characters - thats in all three films. If I like the colours and the playful attitude, again, this is in all three. The only thing I could fundamentally separate the films by is the narratives in each film and they are so evenly match I think I can comfortably place them in a third-place tie.

2. Wall-E - I only recently told a pupil that I believed this is my favourite
film and, akin to Cars it is because of the profound themes it explores. Add to this some incredible sequences - most of which do not even require dialogue - and you have an accessible, deeply moving, highly intelligent, artistically-experimental mainstream film. Can you get anything more awesome?

1. Finding Nemo - But, when I think of the story, I look at Nemo. A film with so much heart. Two-characters on the road to discovery and what, I believe, will
bring a tear to my eye when I have my own child. I think, visually, it takes you to a place which, on one level you know and feel like you are a part of, but you are shown the ocean in a way you have never seen. In the same way that I believe Jurassic Park is my favourite film, I understand that it is a personal preference - opting for The Godfather as my 'professional' favourite film. Finding Nemo is my personal favourite whilst, Wall-E would reside as my 'professional favourite. But this is my blog... so personal wins out.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

11 comments:

  1. I still have to see "Wall-E"

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine top 5 would be

    1. The Incredibles
    2. Finding Nemo
    3. Toy Story Trilogy
    4. Ratatouille
    5. Up

    Least favorite: Cars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Simon. You'd have 'Cars' in there? Interesting!

    Mine stand as:

    5. Monster's Inc./Finding Nemo
    4. Up
    3. Ratatouille
    2. Wall-E
    1. Toy Story Trilogy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Top 5 of Pixar is:

    1. Finding Nemo
    2. A bug's life
    3. Toy Story 1
    4. Toy story 3
    5. Wall-E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anon... whoever you are ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Toy Story 3
    2. Toy Story
    3. Toy Story 2
    4. Finding Nemo
    5. Monsters Inc.
    6. The Incredibles

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Joel, thats the Toy Story films at number #1. What's below Incredibles?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tough call. I haven't seen Wall-E yet so I'd probably go with Up even though its the first 30 minutes that are brilliant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. WALL-E is my 2nd favourite - and it was a tough call. You need to watch that film, it is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see Wall-E getting over. That and Toy Story are my favourites. Cars is actually my least favourite. Interesting list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. My top 5 would be something like that:

    1. Toy Story 1,2,3
    2. Wall-E
    3. Monsters Inc.
    4. Finding Nemo
    5. The Incredibles

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.