5. Goldeneye - Written by Bono and The Edge from U2, this again set the standard after the hiatus between Licence to Kill and Goldeneye. Tina Turner comfortably sings her way trhough, as Bassey sang many years prior. The opening credits sequence, additionally, introduces Daniel Kleinmann to the scene - taking the mantle from Maurice Binder by using Russian symbols and iconography linking with the plot itself. I was very tempted to put Tomorrow Never Dies at this very spot but thought, ultimately, Sherly Crows voice is nowhere near as strong as Tina Turners making it inferior. Though, I may be tempted to claim that Tomorrow Never Dies, as a song, is better ... but shame about the delivery.
4. You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra singing the Asian-themed tune of You Only Live Twice. A brillaint song which, in fact, was so good it was sampled by Robbie Williams for his song Millennium.
3. Goldfinger/Moonraker/Diamonds Are Forever - Yes, I have put all of Shirley Bassey's songs together because, even though Goldfinger set the standard, the songs which followed it became equally distinctive and impressive. Diamonds Are Forever sampled by Kanye West and, with Moonraker, John Barry even had a dance-version placed over the end-credits. Shirley Bassey can do no wrong.
2. Nobody Does It Better - Prior to Carly Simon's theme to The Spy Who Loved Me, other than Matt Monroe in From Russia With Love, the themes were bombastic, grand and loud ... Carly Simon sang a song that sounded personal and romantic. The side to 007 we never truly see ...
1. A View To A Kill/The Living Daylights - by Duran Duran and Aha respectively. These two songs could be played continuously and they still have two things in common - both catchy pop songs that, even at the time, were highly successful singles. Secondly, the songs are rooted in the 80's scene - that I believe seems to give the songs a little retro edge now. If only Spandau Ballet sang Licence to Kill! I couldn't decide on which one is better, so I cracked and - again - but them both at Number 1.