Saturday 7 May 2011

A-Z #76: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#76 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 

Why did I buy it?

I remember when this film came out there was a bit of a buzz. Elijah Wood was not playing Frodo, Kirsten Dunst was not Mary Jane... Jim Carrey being taken seriously [again after The Truman Show] and the whole Michel-Gondry-Charlie-Kaufman combo. What would this be like? I think this was, ultimately, the peak of the Kaufman's Surrealist-Film Movement - following Being John Malkovich and Adaptation but preceding Synecdoche, New York. The difference being that, rather than an introspective analysis of the psyche and the process of creativity, this was [almost too much of] a twee Romance. With a capital R. About a break-up.

Why do I still own it?

Because it truly is flawless. Literally nothing is out of place. The idea of erasing-your-memory can very easily be associated with Arnie in Total Recall, but this is no-Total-Recall, this is a Romance. The break down of a relationship is tough for anyone and this film shows that, though sometimes the break-up is inevitable, the memories of the good times will always remain. The fact that this film appeared in many Top Film lists of the decade is not without reason - it has a concept that, if shot badly, would fall flat on its face, but as it stands, it is profound and personal. Relatable. Unforgettable. One of a handful of films I would never want to lose.

Having said that, I showed this to my Mum and Dad and they both thought the film was crap.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

5 comments:

  1. Weird! My parents thought it was crap as well. Clearly they don't know what they're talking about

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom quite liked it, my Dad still hasn't seen it thought.

    Perfect film. I saw it once in a Walmart $5 bin and bought it instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tom - Bloody parents. The amount of films they simple 'do not believe' are any good is incredible. I think it is rooted in 'as long as it fulfills two-hours then im happy' and anything more challenging is 'too pretentious'

    @Fitz - I managed to hunt down a sweet edition with the screenplay included. Also, I can imagine it would be great on blurray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, all. This is one of my top 3, and sometimes number 1, depending on the day. Bonus: it's been a few years, so I'm due for a rewatch soon.

    Unbelievable how many people have not seen it for how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @fletch - i haven't seen it for a while either actually, but im sure a moment will come. It would be interesting to define the TYPE of people who like this film - and what does it say about us ...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.