Saturday 4 June 2011

A-Z #83: Gandhi

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#83 - Gandhi

Why did I buy it?

Twas a Best Picture I have not seen. In an attempt to watch all the Best Picture winners, I believed that Gandhi was the film that stalled me for its win in 1982. Turns out, this is inaccurate. I have all the winners from 2011 and all the way back to ... 1987 ... and The Last Emperor. At any rate, I bought Gandhi and I watched it and ... if I'm honest, it might be sold off...

Why do I still own it?

Because it is a good film with a strong moral centre-point... based on a true-story with an incredible performance from Ben Kingsley. My problem is whether I will watch it again. As good as it is, I will struggle to view it a second time because its over 3-hours long and, until I make my epic film with thousands of extras ... I doubt I will need to watch it. Having said that, I could argue the same point as Lawrence of Arabia. If I was to sell Gandhi ... then I should additionally sell Lawrence of Arabia ... 

Should it stay or should it go?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Lawrence of Arabia is a lot stronger than Gandhi, I think: more rewatchable, better paced, more morally ambiguous/dimensional characters. I don't think the selling of one should lead to the selling of the other.

    That said, Gandhi is still pretty great. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the thing though - GANDHI is great! BUt is it rewatchable? I mean, I watched ANTICHRIST and its a good film... but will I watch it again? Unlikely.

    LAWRENCE OF ARABIA I have only seen the once and if I had to choose one, I think I'd keep LAWRENCE OF ARABIA... but GANDHI is still a great film ... its a tough call!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.