Tuesday 7 June 2011

A-Z #84: Gladiator

You can pick up hundreds of DVDs for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. It's never about quantity, it's about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#84 - Gladiator

Why did I buy it?
 
I didn't see it at the cinema. I know, I know, it's one of those films you must have seen at the cinema, but alas, I did not. But as an employee of Woolworths, on the Entertainment counter, I saw a huge bunch of people buy this on its release. I was a little shocked that I was not more aware of it and bought it, without having seen it... and boy was it good.

Why do I still own it?

Sarah loves it and I do think its great. The sheer scale of the film is incredible - especially my favourite gladiatoral match with the tigers. I didn't even know who Russell Crowe was at the time - though, in fairness, when I finished watching the film, it was Joaquin Phoenix that I remembered vividly. The thing is, I have had this film for a long time, in the hope that it'd be worth buying the Director's Cut but - as you have seen from my post on Donnie Darko - sometimes the directors cut simply ain't no good! Has anyone seen it? Which one is better? It's an incredible film and to think that Ridley Scott also made Blade Runner and Alien simply shows how talented the man is.
Large Association of Movie Blogs

1 comment:

  1. What's sad about your Blade Runner/Alien comment is that he made those and this, and this won the Best Picture Oscar despite being the poorest of the three by far. Oh well, I guess that's what an inspiring, epic story will do for you.

    Don't get me wrong - I enjoy Gladiator for what it is: a solid action film. But it's really not THAT good, just well-made and -acted, with some outstanding sequences. I own it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.