Friday 11 February 2011

A-Z #33: Bullet Boy

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#33 - Bullet Boy 

Why did I buy it?

I don't think I did actually. If I recall correctly, Sarah bought the film as part of her planning for a lesson at her school many years ago. I knew the film was set in East London - within a square mile of the school I currently teach at - so I was incredibly interested in the depiction of the children in the area whilst, additionally, as Saul Dibb researched the film by interviewing the kids in teh area, it obviously informed the film itself too.

Why do I still own it?

Its not mine to sell really - Sarah bought it - but I am glad we still own it. Though it has a strong moral compass - unlike Kidulthood - the conflicts and frustration seem true and thought through. Massive Attack provided a song of the same name for the film and the story is incredibly engaging - if only because I know a little about the context it is set within. It is an interesting perspective on the released-from-prison-story we have seen before (American History X, 25th Hour) as the primary focus is the influence of all the people and environment around the released convicts brother Curtis, who is young and impressionable.

As an interesting factoid, IMDB states that when it was sold to the BBC, they proposed the project as 'Kes with guns'. Great.

Should I sell it though? Not mine to give - and I think I might show this to school children myself at some point.

Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.