Monday 21 February 2011

A-Z #41: Chicago

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#41 - Chicago 

Why did I buy it?

I didn't buy this one either - Sarah did. But had no problem at all with the purchase - again, Best Picture winner following on the heels of a musical-rennaissance of sorts as Moulin Rouge that preceded it and the multiple musicals that followed it.

Why do I still own it?
 
Again, this isn't mine to sell, but I must admit that I liked it. It is a strong musical and has some stunning musical numbers. The sexy and sassy nature of the story made the film ripe for becoming a film - and the mafia/Chicago story ensured that the film did not automatically exclude male members of the audience ("I ain't gonna watch The Sound of Music"). Unlike, Moulin Rouge, the romance in this story is buried deep within a context consisting of celebrity, jails, sex and gangsters. Not bad considering Zellweger had only recently become a household name due to Bridget Jones's Diary. Made a lot of sense to follow up the frumpy Bridget Jones with the sassy Roxie Hart. I've yet to rewatch it, but when I did - I knew that this was the type of musical I liked.  
Maybe you know one better! Maybe I should swap it for that one? Comment below if you think so!

Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.