Saturday 12 February 2011

A-Z #34: Carlito's Way

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#34 - Carlito's Way 

Why did I buy it?

I had wanted to purchase this film for many years for multiple reasons: Brian De Palma, Pacino, Viggo Mortensen Pre-Lord-of-the-Rings, classic-Gangster film, etc. I remember watching the opening scenes in a Media Studies lesson many years ago - and analysing the use of camera and use of effects to show disorientation, etc. By chance, Good Friend Rob purchased this for me as a present in an Al Pacino boxset alongside Scent of a Woman, Scarface and Sea of Love.

Why do I still own it?
 
Because it is potentially better than Scarface. Seriously, Pacino's gangster-trying-to-gte-out is much more likable than Tony in Scarface. The visual style is more restrained with a more interesting context - whilst, though I love the excess-culture Scarface lives within, I'd much rather visit the world of Carlito than the world of Cocained-up Scarface.
Maybe you can only own one? Maybe I should shift this and keep Scarface?
  
Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.