Sunday 6 March 2011

A-Z #48: Closer

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#48 - Closer 

Why did I buy it?

This was bought by Sarah, not I. But I would buy it if she had not. Sarah had seen the play in Birmingham, years before the cinema release. It is written by Patrick Marber who was, prior to being a playwright, a stand-up comedian writing for Knowing Me, Knowing You with Steve Coogan and The Day Today with Chris Morris (aka, the director of Four Lions).

Why do I still own it?

Because of the inversing and reversing, parrallel and contrasting dynamics of the relationships. Jude Law can normally portray arrogant, smug bastards pretty well (but, alas, it is the only role he can play), Julia Roberts in a small Mike Nichols films is a interesting change-in-pace for her whilst Natalie Portman and Clive Owen were breaking out at the time and now, on reflection, this film really showed how great the two actors are. It would be nice to revisit this film now Portman had won her Best Actress Oscar. Marber also wrote the screenplay and the delivery is flawless - the argument between Julia Roberts and Clive Owen is truly heartbreaking.

Should I sell it though?

I know there are haters - and I am interested as to who these people are - but I feel that the film delivers. Romance and deeply personal conflicts that will truly relate to any viewer ensure that this film is placed in my collection - and, dare I say it, it reminds me of Woody Allen. When I think about something like Husbands and Wives and the four-way relationship-insight that it observes, Closer bears more than a passing resemblance.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. How dare you associate Closer with Woody Allen!!!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. FranklyMyDearPodcast06 March, 2011 19:20

    I just watched Closer for the first time last week. I loved it. Like, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fantastic - what did you like about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah - its a compliment!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.