Friday 11 March 2011

A-Z #53 Crash

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em



#53 - Crash 

Why did I buy it?

We all know about Crash, the original Crash. Opposed to the remake by Haggis (joking!). After a while, once you have heard all the twisted stories - cars, metal and sex... - you eventually think, sure, why not. I also read the BFI Modern Classic on the film and it was incredibly dense. Potentially, too much. At any rate, it was bought with the view that it is a 'classic' or 'essential'  film I should own!

Why do I still own it?

I have only watched it once, first off. It is twisted and truly messed-up - but not without an air of consistency. The themes that run through the film are consistent and relate sex and vehicles in a way that I dubt has existed before or since. The emotional attachment following an accident, the sexualised and erotic pleasures that cn be found through these attachments, the friends and people you meet when you explore this obsession and attraction. I don't deny how strange it is, but I feel that after a few watches, I will understand the attraction people have to the film. Some people rate Cronenberg on the strength of these films - Crash and Naked Lunch - opposed to the much-more commercially viable A History of Violence and Eastern Promises, which, in fairness, I do prefer.

Should I sell it though?

Mayb I am fooling myself - trying to be the cool-kid-who-loves-the-weird-shit - and I should give up the ghost and sell the film without any thought for the potentially all-important, second watch.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.