Tuesday 8 March 2011

A-Z #50: The Color Purple

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em

#50 - The Color Purple 

Why did I buy it?
 
It seems to be a recurring theme - this was bought by Sarah. She read the book by Alice Walker and loved the book so much, she purchased the DVD. I didn't mind - it was the one Spielberg film which, at the time, I had not seen. I always remember it vividly because it was on Dawsons wall in Dawson's Creek - the 'critical' success (alongside Schindler's List) opposed to the blockbusters: Jurassic Park and E.T.
 
Why do I still own it?
 
I have only watched it once and I really did enjoy it. Interestingly, it was nominated for 11 Oscars for the year 1985. Spielberg was one of the six winners, in six decades, that won Best Motion Picture Director from the Director's Guild of America whilst not winning it for The Color Purple. Additionally, some of the cast present blistering performances - namely Whoopi Goldberg, Oprah Winfrey and Danny Glover. Whatever the case, I am keen to watch again the time period depicted - the late 1800's of Southern United States. Much like the Holocaust in Schindler's List, Spielberg has a habit of choosing topics that 'must never be forgotton' and I think The Color Purple is an example of a time period whereby economic-poverty and racism collided and the perspective of Celie is a great way in to see this specific era in American History.
 
Maybe not - maybe Spielberg was a little dramatic and should I stick to the 'blockbusters'? 

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this. I revisited it from an Oscar perspective during my recent 30 days of Oscar and watched it twice in 2 days. So much better than I remember and such an astounding movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWICE IN TWO DAYS! Thats mental. This does make me want to watch this again! I think Sarah is always keen to watch it so ... as soon as all the Bond films are watched ...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.