Tuesday 15 March 2011

A-Z #56: Dances With Wolves

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em


#56 - Dances With Wolves 

Why did I buy it?

For many, many years I hated Dances with Wolves. In fairness, I hadn't seen it. But my reasoning was how it nabbed the Best Picture gong from Scorsese when he was nominated with Goodfellas. Real shame. But then I bit the bullet, purchased the triple-disc, and watched winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture, 1991: Dances with Wolves

Why do I still own it?
 
I have only watched it once and it was incredibly good. Kevin Costner has been mocked for many years - ever since Waterworld - Costner seems to be a bit of a joke. He has recently been cast as Superman's Dad in the upcoming Zack Snyder reboot of the man of steel and it is pretty incredible to know how great an actor - and director Costner is. There is nothing unpolished about this film - the scale and scope are captured gloriously in widescreen, showing vast vistas of buffalo and desert in Fort Sedgwick, Colorado.
 
I think, Avatar has alot to answer for and, what makes this film that much more refined, is the finale as Dunbar (Costner) does not 'win' or 'defeat' the enemy, but he decides to leave the tribe, knowing he has put them in danger. I doubt Jim Cameron could've been so brave with his Jake Sully (Worthington) who, easily enough, became not only of the Na'vi, but additionally, the best Na'vi there has ever been. 'Dances With Wolves' (Costner's tribe name) was good, but he was never 'the best' member of the Sioux tribe.
Should I sell it though?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. While the movie is not really revisionist or a new type of Western, it's a mass-oriented film in its middlebrow sensibility and acceptable message about the co-existence between the White Man and Native Americans. Still didn't deserve to win over Goodfellas, but I can see why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the 'epic' nature beats gangster-violence any day in the Oscars I reckon. more importantly, it is also better and more profound than AVATAR!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.