Sunday 20 March 2011

A-Z #57: The Day After Tomorrow

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a round-pound each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and understanding why I own the films ... or you can tell me why I should sell 'em

#57 - The Day After Tomorrow 

Why did I buy it?

If I recall correctly, I bought this when double-disc DVD offers were rife. 20th Century Fox had a 2 for £20 offer on a whole load of double-disc DVD's and, because I felt I was getting out of the loop with some of the more, shall we say, mainstream films, I bought this film alongside I, Robot. It was okay at the cinema and the whole environmental thing going on, I believed, would be a great addition to the whole end-of-the-world blockbusters following Independence Day through to Armageddon... (I think, soon after this was released, a British film called Flood starring Robert Carlyle was released with a similar set-up)

Why do I still own it?
 
It very nearly got sold. It was on the pile. (For the record, I, Robot was sold...) but I managed to catch the end of a "Top 50 End-Of-The-World Films" and this, though not number-one (I think that was Independence Day), did come up in the top 5. For a while I though that was ridiculous but, the voice-over guy, seemed to argue the case: a great cast in Gyllenhaal, Dennis Quaid (though they are clearly not Father and Son) and Ian Holm, the nature-vs-the-world had a facsinating aspect of truth to it ... a hypothetical-scenario rather than false science-fiction, it seemed as if the horror in The Day After Tomorrow could indeed happen. And, to top it off, the special FX look great. The irony to all of this is the reality of the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan, Hurricane Katrina hitting New Orleans in 2005, the Boxing-Day Indian Ocean earthquake, Haiti... the list goes on. The crazy pictures in Japan of a wave holding hundreds of cars and sweeping them across the land seems to be something straight out of this film.
 
I think I will keep this as a film-version of some of the actual horrors nature has bestowed on us in recent years... (though I have no intention of watching 2012)

The truth may be more horrific and my ownership of this simply ignores the flawed aspect of the film itself - should it be sold?
Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.