Thursday 20 January 2011

A-Z #15: Apocalypto

You can pick up hundreds of DVD's for a buck each - it doesn't matter. Its never about quantity, its about quality. A-Z is my way of going through my collection, from A-Z, and justifying why I own the films...




#15 - Apocalypto 

Why did I buy it?

This was a present. This is not to devalue it, because I do rate Mel Gibson as a director (not so much loving the racist, sexist religious freak side-affect) and I thoroughly enjoyed the huge, epic nature of Apocalypto. I watched the film at the cinema and I enjoyed it...

Why do I still own it?

I do believe Apocalypto is an incredibly unique film rooted in history and culture. Now, I know there are a bunch of historical inaccuracies - but this aggressive and animalistic attitude to faith and life was real - you could argue, to some extent it still exits - and it is to be commended that Mel Gibson has captured this human trait in this film. We live in a very different world - but the idea that entire worlds existed before us that valued life so little - yet valued God so much - is something that is fascinating to see.
  
Remember - you can always email The Simon and Jo Film Show directly using this email: simonandjoshow@gmail.com
We are also on Twitter  and Facebook.

Large Association of Movie Blogs


2 comments:

  1. I did kinda like Apocalypto when I saw it but not enough to watch it again. Also Mel Gibson is an awful human being. Sell It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats good about it is the religious stance - such a destructive belief system, whereby the innocent victims are the minority opposed to the mental cannibalistic aztec culture.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2015. All posts & reviews are property of www.simoncolumb.wordpress.com/Simon Columb and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.